Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has confirmed the availability of striker Edinson Cavani ahead of Sunday’s Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium.
The Red Devils have picked up just nine points from the last five league games with three frustrating draws. As a result, they are no longer in control of their Champions League destiny.
The Mancunian giants are presently fourth in the league standings with 47 points, but sixth-placed Arsenal, in particular, are just two points behind them with three matches in hand.
Hence, the Manchester derby is a must-win for them. Ahead of the game, the club have received a timely boost with the return of Cavani to full training after a nagging groin issue.
Rangnick told Manutd.com: “He is back in training since yesterday – today was his second training session with the team.
He looks good to be involved on Sunday, but there are still some question marks over other players. It looks good for Edinson for Sunday.”
Meanwhile, midfielder Scott McTominay could also feature in the matchday squad on Sunday, having overcome an illness that kept him out of action for the past two matches.
The Scotland international was spotted training at the Carrington complex earlier this week. The midfielder could be reinstated into the starting line-up if he is deemed fit.
Meanwhile, Ronaldo has endured a tough phase in his career with just one goal in the last ten games.
The return of Cavani is a big boost. The Uruguayan will be handy off the bench with his aerial presence.
United have a tough schedule before the next international break with games against City, Tottenham Hotspur and Atletico Madrid, two of those being at Old Trafford.
Home advantage has not necessarily benefitted them with draws against Southampton and Watford lately. The attack has largely misfired with clear-cut opportunities missed.
They face a difficult challenge on their hands on Sunday against Pep Guardiola’s side, but recent history has favoured them with victories in the last three trips to the Etihad.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?