Austria head coach Ralf Rangnick has confirmed that Marcel Sabitzer is struggling with a knee issue ahead of tonight’s Euro 2024 qualifier versus Estonia at home.
Sabitzer recently had a tremendous outing for Austria against Azerbaijan. He bagged two goals and an assist while wearing the captain’s armband in the absence of David Alaba.
However, he was substituted towards the end with a knock and speaking to reporters, Rangnick has acknowledged that he is doubtful after missing Sunday’s training session.
He said via Manutd.com: “In the end, it is a question of pain and pain tolerance for both Marcel and Gernot. Of course, we hope that Marcel will do well, especially after that first game in Linz.”
“At the moment, I’m optimistic that it can work but, at the end of the day, it’s also a question of whether Marcel feels ready for it himself. At the moment, I am assuming he’ll play.
“It made more sense to leave them out [of the session] again, just to give them one more day. But there are enough other candidates.”
Man Utd can ill-afford more midfield injuries
United have been hampered the most in the midfield department this term. Donny van de Beek has already been ruled out for the season with a serious knee injury.
Meanwhile, Christian Eriksen has just returned to individual training after a long-term ankle issue and he may not start for the Red Devils until the final week of April.
This leaves Casemiro, Fred, Scott McTominay and Sabitzer as the senior central midfield options, but the former is suspended for the next three domestic games.
Hence, United are pretty short in terms of midfield choices at the moment. Hopefully, Sabitzer has only picked up a minor knock and will be ready to play tonight.
The €20 million-rated star has started to find his feet after his loan move in January and could have a crucial role to play between now and the end of the season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd