Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has confirmed that Edinson Cavani has committed to the club until the end of the campaign.
The Uruguayan was recently linked with a mid-season departure, with Barcelona keen on pursuing his services on a free transfer.
Rangnick dismissed the prospect of him leaving earlier this month, and he has now been assured by Cavani that he will be staying for the season.
He told Manutd.com: “Edi [Cavani] said that I can rely on him until the end of the season and that he will continue to give his very best to be a role model for the younger players.
”If he should play from the start he is always happy to do so and to give his all, but if even if he is not playing he will try to be the best possible role model for the other players too.
”Edi is one of those players with a very strong mentality. He has vast amounts of experience and a good work ethic that can also set a good example for the rest of the players.”
Cavani was out of action between November and mid-December with a nagging tendon injury, which led to speculation that he may have played his final game for the Red Devils.
However, the Uruguayan was reinstated into the first-team plans by Rangnick. He bagged a vital equalising goal against Newcastle United off the bench where United were second best.
He has since started two Premier League games on the bounce but has not made the same impact. It won’t be a surprise if the 34-year-old drops to the bench for the FA Cup third-round tie.
Rangnick recently acknowledged that he should have taken off Cavani over Mason Greenwood in the 1-0 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers. The graduate could lead the line alongside Cristiano Ronaldo.
Despite this, Cavani remains a solid presence up front with his strong hold-up play and goalscoring record over the years. He should have a key part to play in the club’s pursuit of the top four.
Cavani could walk away from the club when his contract expires on June 30. Barcelona could revisit their interest in the striker, having failed to convince United to release him this month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona