Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick has confirmed that Alex Telles will make the starting line-up in this evening’s Premier League clash at Aston Villa.
The Red Devils are expected to be without Scott McTominay and Luke Shaw due to suspensions after they picked up their fifth yellow cards of the league campaign against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Telles remains the only specialist senior left-back in the squad other than Shaw, and Rangnick has confirmed that the Brazilian will get another chance to impress in the Englishman’s absence.
He told Manutd.com: “As you said, it’s all about competition and in the last few weeks I think he realised there was a realistic chance for him to play.
“He will play tomorrow instead of Luke Shaw, [with him] being suspended. Even when Luke was injured or when he was fit, he still did well.”
Telles was handed a regular run of appearances before the turn of the year following Shaw’s extended absence following a head collision.
He started five straight league games. The last of those was against Newcastle United, where the entire defence was disappointing.
David de Gea saved the club’s blushes in the 1-1 draw with several stand-out saves. Telles has since been on the bench for three matches.
He has now got his chance following Shaw’s league suspension and can stake a claim for a regular role with a strong performance today.
The left-back could be in for a testing challenge against Villa, who were by far the better attacking side in the FA Cup third-round defeat.
A single goal from Scott McTominay decided the contest, and Steven Gerrard’s side will be eyeing revenge at Villa Park this evening.
The defence has been a prime concern for United this term. De Gea has been hugely instrumental in earning points over the past few months.
The Spaniard will be hoping for more protection from his backline. Judging by recent games, he could have another busy game between the sticks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona