Queens Park Rangers have agreed a season-long loan deal for Manchester United right-back Ethan Laird, according to Mike McGrath of the Telegraph.
Laird came through the academy ranks at Man Utd, earning his first professional contract in 2019. Additionally, he has often featured for the England youth teams, making 15 appearances for the Young Lions.
The 21-year-old has had three loan spells in the Football League, lining up for Milton Keynes Dons, Swansea City, and Bournemouth. With the latter, he earned promotion to the Premier League.
However, he is yet to make his first league appearance for the Red Devils, finding himself limited to two outings in the Europa League. And, with Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka unlikely to be sold, his chances of breaking through this season are looking slim.
Now, he looks set for another stint out on loan. Telegraph reporter Mike McGrath claims that the club have agreed to send him to QPR on a season-long loan.
The Rs have been in the market for a new right-back this summer, following the departure of Moses Odubajo at the end of his contract. This has left Osman Kakay as their only natural player in this position. Winger Albert Adomah was also trusted there by former manager Mark Warburton.
Chelsea youngster Dujon Sterling was also touted for a move across London on loan. Much like Laird, he is also unlikely to get much game time at his parent club this term, having to compete with the likes of Reece James and Cesar Azpilicueta.
QPR’s campaign began with a 1-0 defeat away to Blackburn Rovers. They bounced back with a 3-2 victory at home to Middlesbrough, before being eliminated from the Carabao Cup by Charlton Athletic on penalties.
Man Utd, meanwhile, travel to Brentford on Saturday after a humbling 2-1 defeat at home to Bournemouth and are looking to put their first points on the board this season.
Although fans would have liked to see Laird break through into the first team this season it looks like he will get the chance to get another Championship season under his belt before making the step up next season.
- Man Utd planning fresh move for Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix
- Man Utd plan to track Andre Onana and Goncalo Ramos in upcoming Champions League tie
- Erik ten Hag provides a fresh injury update on Christian Eriksen
- Three emerging French midfielders Man Utd could sign this summer
- Manchester United to play nine games in ‘crazy’ April schedule
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract