Qatar have an ambitious plan to form European football’s most powerful multi-club network involving Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Sporting Braga, according to Duncan Castles.
The Red Devils are currently in the process of a possible takeover. Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani and Sir Jim Ratcliffe are among the leading contenders to buy the club from the Glazers.
There is no guarantee that the Glazers will sanction a sale but Sheikh Jassim and Qatar are optimistic that they will win the race and are already planning to form a multi-club network.
Qatar Sports Investment (QSI) currently own Paris Saint-Germain and they also hold a minority stake in Braga. They secured a 21 per cent share of the Portuguese outfit in October last year.
It is now reported that emerging talents from European and South American football could be sent to Braga to develop before being sold to United and Paris Saint-Germain in a few seasons.
Qatar trying to adopt Red Bull’s successful formula
Red Bull GmbH have been the major gamechangers when it comes to multi-club networks in Europe.
They currently own Red Bull Salzburg and RB Leipzig under different entities. Salzburg have acted as the feeder club for Leipzig and have exchanged more than 20 players.
Among the big names are Naby Keita, Marcel Sabitzer, Peter Gulacsi, Dayot Upamecano and Dominik Szoboszlai. Salzburg’s Benjamin Sesko is set to join Leipzig this summer.
Qatar are trying to adopt the same successful formula. Their multi-club network could be more effective as they have the finances to pursue the best young talents available.
Apart from Braga, they also plan to bring Malaga under their own wing. The Spanish outfit are currently in a relegation battle in La Liga 2 and definitely need a financial boost.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns