So after a disappointing draw against Reading we head south over to Fratton Park to play a team that in recent times have become our ‘bogey team’. But in a way it’s good we are playing away from home. At least there is this hope that teams wouldn’t park their bus in front of their goal. Harry Redknapp himself said he won’t be defensive. “One can’t just defend against teams like that”, he said – or something to that effect.
So we could hope for a much more open game today. SAF has confirmed that Tevez will start today. It would be a like for like replacement for Rooney, but that said, it shouldn’t open up the old, tiresome debate that Rooney and Tevez are too similar. As Carlitos would himself say, “I am only 50% similar to him” – or something to that effect. He would have said that in Spanish anyway, so there you go.
I would love for Hargreaves to start along side Carrick with Scholes in the hole, as I mentioned yesterday. But I doubt we are going to see that happening. Giggs might be persisted with in the hole with Carrick and the Ninja playing deeper. Fletcher would get to start on the wing with Ronny on the other. However we should see Evra in a more familiar role of left back – displacing Silvestre. So that should hopefully settle many nerves, or so we’d hope.
Nani would be on the bench and so would Anderson/Ole. I am sure Fergie would have realized his folly of not having any genuine strikers on the bench in the last game. Well, sure, he didn’t have any fit striker, but Anderson could play in that role too. Or even Frazier Campbell, no?
Oh well, let’s not talk about that game anymore. Here’s looking forward to a good game today and a result.
Prediction: 2-0 to United. The lads will be pumped up for the game. Tevez to score! I don’t expect our defence to be too troubled by Portsmouth’s attack although they are decent enough to cause us problems.
And before I end this preview, here is an inspirational fan chant created by none other than yours’ truly, (Who else!) which involves three of our summer signings. It could be horrible, or outright brilliant. But that’s your opinion. Anyway here it is:
Anderson, Nani, Charlie Tee,
In your pants, they’ll make you Pee!
Angry? You have the comment section for that!
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV