Today is 07/08 season hangover day. A day where we play a game to prove we are better than a team that didn’t qualify for the Champions’ League. To be honest, I don’t get the point of a Super Cup. It’s not really super, whether we win it or lose it. Playing the UEFA Cup winners could be tricky, but it’s more like a glorified version of the Community Shield — a curtain raiser to the footballing calendar in Europe.
But, I do want us to win this one. The Super Cup doesn’t come every day, so I’d gladly take this, as well as the World Club Championship later this year.
In team news, Fergie said that Hargreaves could start, but also added that he won’t be fit enough to face Andorra for England. I agree with the boss. Playing for England at the moment is pointless. (Before you jump on me, yes, it is personal bias.)
Nani will definitely start and I hope he’ll be hungry as hell. I genuinely hope he comes of age this season. Park Ji-Sung could come off the bench too. So despite the apparent cramping of our schedule, we are getting to see players returning from injury in non-Premier League games.
In terms of formation, Rooney and Tevez should start up front; Nani, Scholes, Anderson, Hargreaves in midfield, Evra, Rio, Vida and Brown in defence. (Or perhaps, Fergie might choose to start Neville too).
The good thing is that we are getting very close to our first team. And today’s team will be the nucleus of the one that will play Liverpool on the 13th. A good performance now would augur well going into the international break, considering the disjointed displays from Liverpool of late.
Zenit will be without Arshavin. But I hear they can still be a handful without their influential playmaker. So there…
I am excited, I hope you are too.
Prediction: 2-0 to United
* * *
What the hell was the Goalkeeper, Defender and Midfield award about anyway? Was this some kind of a joke? Petr Cech for all his past brilliance has never been the same player since his head injury. John Terry? Give me a fuckin’ break. And I don’t understand Lampard getting the best midfield award either.
So someone, kindly explain.
* * *
Yup. No more news on the Berbatov front. Let’s wait for the clock to whittle down. Although if Tottenham continue to be linked with the likes of Miguel Veloso, then I don’t see any point in them holding on to Berba.
Back to today’s game though. Come on you reds!!!
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr
- Manchester United’s December 2022 Preview: Schedule & Predictions
- Man Utd need to pay €50m up front to sign Cody Gakpo – Fabrizio Romano