Manchester United will be facing Real Betis in today’s friendly at the Estadio Benito Villamarín.
The Red Devils suffered a disappointing 4-2 loss to Cadiz earlier this week. Erik ten Hag picked his first-team stars for the first half before they were replaced by academy graduates.
Cadiz won both halves by a 2-1 margin, but manager Erik ten Hag was particularly critical over the first-half performance and slammed his players for ‘sleeping’ in the early stages.
He will expect a better showing against Betis. Today’s game could play a big part on who makes the starting XI for the Carabao Cup fourth round tie against Burnley on December 21.
David de Gea was missing from the squad against Cadiz where Martin Dubravka played the full 90 minutes in goal. However, the Spaniard was back in training on Thursday and he is expected to return between the sticks today.
In defence, it should be the same back four from the opening half at Cadiz. Victor Lindelof should be partnered by Teden Mengi in central defence. Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Brandon Williams are likely to continue in the full-back roles, but they are playing for their futures.
Wan-Bissaka was poor against Cadiz. He showed little desire in tracking back for the cross which led to Cadiz’s second goal. Williams, on the other hand, was guilty of conceding a needless free-kick which helped Cadiz open the scoring. They must step up today.
In midfield, Scott McTominay should once again be partnered by Zidane Iqbal, who has shown plenty of promise in the friendly games. He was also impressive against Cadiz in midweek, winning the penalty in the opening half that was converted by Anthony Martial.
In front of them, Donny van de Beek should get another chance from the number 10 role with Christian Eriksen and Bruno Fernandes unavailable. The Dutchman is running out of time to prove himself. He has produced a number of passive displays lately with no creativity.
Further forward, Alejandro Garnacho and Martial were among the best performers in the first half on Wednesday and are expected to keep their places. Anthony Elanga could, however, drop to the bench after his lacklustre display to be replaced by Shola Shoretire.
How Man Utd could line up against Real Betis
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out