Manchester United entertain Reading at Old Trafford in the FA Cup fourth round tonight.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways on Wednesday with an impressive 3-0 win over Nottingham Forest in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final.
The club are almost guaranteed their place in the final at Wembley later this month and they will now be aiming to progress to the next phase of the FA Cup.
Manager Erik ten Hag could ring in the changes for the game with a number of key players likely to be rested on the bank of a congested schedule this month.
Tom Heaton made his first appearance of the campaign in the Carabao Cup quarter-final win over Charlton Athletic. However, we fancy new signing Jack Butland to get the nod between the sticks tonight if David de Gea is rested.
In defence, there could be at least two changes. Aaron Wan-Bissaka looks on course to start at right-back in the continued injury absence of Diogo Dalot. Harry Maguire could get a rare start after missing the Forest game through suspension.
The club captain could partner Victor Lindelof at the heart of the backline. At left-back, Tyrell Malacia looks likely to start for the second game running with Luke Shaw deemed doubtful after missing the recent Forest trip with a niggle.
In the centre of the park, Scott McTominay and Fred could start alongside each other for the first time since the Charlton game. The duo are clearly back-up choices to Casemiro and Christian Eriksen when it comes to the league matches.
Further forward, Antony and Marcus Rashford could be handed breathers amid their heavy workloads lately. We anticipate Alejandro Garnacho to replace Rashford on the left wing while Pellistri could make his full United debut on the right flank.
Bruno Fernandes has been a constant presence in the number 10 role barring suspension. The Portuguese will once again need to be cautious. He has already picked up a yellow card in the competition and a booking today will result in another ban.
Up front, Wout Weghorst should start. The Dutchman bagged his first goal for United in his third appearance. He is widely expected to continue as the main striker. Erik ten Hag could replace him with Anthony Elanga in the second half if required.
How Man Utd could line up against Reading
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March
- Changes made to Owners’ and Directors’ Test could affect Man United takeover
- Six former Manchester United players shortlisted for induction into Premier League Hall of Fame