Manchester United will be aiming to return to winning ways when they face Newport County in today’s FA Cup fourth round tie at Rodney Parade.
The Red Devils go into the game as firm favourites to progress to the fifth round, but manager Erik ten Hag is still expected to field a strong line-up.
The FA Cup is the club’s only realistic opportunity to lift a trophy this term and the Dutchman will want a statement victory over the League Two side.
Andre Onana has played every minute of the club’s campaign in goal, but he is expected to miss out on the trip to South Wales. Ten Hag has confirmed that Altay Bayindir will make his debut between the sticks.
Onana could, however, return for the midweek Premier League clash at Wolverhampton Wanderers with Cameroon having beaten eliminated by Nigeria from the African Cup of Nations on Saturday night.
In defence, Ten Hag should finally get the chance to field his best backline. Diogo Dalot and Raphael Varane are expected to keep their places from the 2-2 draw against Tottenham Hotspur this month.
They should be accompanied by Lisandro Martinez and Luke Shaw, who are back after respective injuries. Martinez only made a cameo against Spurs while Shaw did not feature in the game as he was unfit.
Casemiro was in the matchday squad versus Spurs after recovering from a hamstring injury. We anticipate him to make his long-awaited return to the starting line-up against Newport this evening.
Neither Christian Eriksen nor Scott McTominay have been impressive lately while Mason Mount has just returned to full training. We won’t be surprised if Casemiro and Kobbie Mainoo are paired together.
Mainoo has been a revelation from the number six role in Casemiro’s absence, but we could see him playing in a more central position which he has done several times in the academy.
Further forward, there could be an enforced change with Marcus Rashford doubtful due to illness.
His absence could see Alejandro Garnacho move into his preferred left wing position. Captain Bruno Fernandes should be an assured starter from the number 10 role for the club.
On the right wing, we would like Ten Hag to go with Amad Diallo over Antony. Antony has been a huge disappointment this term and Amad deserves to make his first start of the season.
Rasmus Hojlund will lead the line. The Dane has started to find his feet in the Premier League with three goal contributions in the last two outings. He will be aiming to carry the momentum into the game.
How Man Utd could line up vs Newport
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow