Manchester United face Leeds United at Elland Road in today’s early Premier League clash.
The Red Devils settled for a frustrating 2-2 draw against Leeds at Old Trafford on Wednesday and they will be aiming to avenge the result this afternoon.
A victory in the Roses derby will take them seven points clear of fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur, who suffered a 4-1 loss at Leicester City yesterday.
United can also reduce the gap to league leaders Arsenal to just five points, though they will have played two games more after today’s trip to Leeds.
David de Gea has been ever-present in goal in the top-flight this season. The Spain international is a confirmed starter between the sticks and will be aiming for his first clean sheet in six Premier League matches.
In front of him, it should be the same back four from the 2-2 draw in midweek. Diogo Dalot had a good return to action after injury and provided an assist for Marcus Rashford’s goal. He should start at right-back with Luke Shaw on the opposite end.
Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez are expected to continue at the heart of the defence. The duo have been Ten Hag’s preferred central defensive pairing this campaign with Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire reduced to cameo roles in the top-flight.
In midfield, Fred and Marcel Sabitzer are set to continue. Fred was unconvincing from the defensive midfield role but the Brazilian should start in the position with compatriot Casemiro being suspended. Scott McTominay, Christian Eriksen and Donny van de Beek are out with injuries.
Further forward, Alejandro Garnacho should keep his place despite the fact that he squandered two clear-cut scoring chances in midweek. The manager was supportive of him in the press conference and should back him with another starting spot.
However, he could be tasked to play on the right wing. In our view, Wout Weghorst will be dropped to the bench with Marcus Rashford leading the attack. This could see Jadon Sancho slot into the left wing for his first United start since October.
The England star was lively in his cameo appearance in midweek, scoring the equaliser as well as providing three key passes. He gets out nod on the left flank. Bruno Fernandes as always should feature in his customary number 10 position.
How Man Utd could line up vs Leeds United
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books
- ‘High hopes’: Lionel Scaloni speaks about Alejandro Garnacho’s future with Argentina