Manchester United are one point away from mathematically securing a third top-four finish in four Premier League seasons and returning to the Champions League after a year-long absence.
After last Saturday’s 1-0 win at Bournemouth, Erik ten Hag’s side return to Old Trafford on Thursday to meet Chelsea, seeking a point to book a final place in next season’s Champions League.
With Alejandro Garnacho and Scott McTominay making late appearances at the Vitality Stadium following lengthy spells on the sidelines, the Red Devils have received another fitness boost ahead of Thursday’s fixture.
Standout forward Marcus Rashford resumed training on Tuesday. According to ManUtd.com, he could be in contention for making his 33rd Premier League outing if he passes fit on Wednesday.
Rashford has been lethal against Chelsea in the past, netting five goals against them, which means he could become the first Man United player to hit a 30-goal landmark in a season since Robin van Persie if he makes the matchday squad.
Lisandro Martinez, Marcel Sabitzer and Donny van de Beek won’t return to action this season, but Ten Hag should still have plenty of ammunition to take down the out-of-sorts Blues this midweek.
Predicted Manchester United Line-up against Chelsea:
In addition to goalkeeper David de Gea, the Dutchman should opt for the same backline that stood firm against Bournemouth and Wolverhampton Wanderers in the last two rounds.
Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof will likely form the centre-back pairing at Old Trafford, with Luke Shaw and Aaron Wan-Bissaka expected to provide support on the flanks.
After a match-winning strike at the Vitality, Casemiro will again team up with Christian Eriksen in Ten Hag’s double-pivot in front of the backline, as has been the case whenever the two were fit this term.
Even if Rashford rejoins the fold, he’ll likely start on the bench, meaning Jadon Sancho and Antony could keep hold of their places on the wings, with Bruno Fernandes anchoring the spot behind the striker.
While Anthony Martial failed to impress at the weekend, he still has the upper hand over Wout Weghorst, who’s had an underwhelming season since arriving from Burnley on loan in January.
How Man Utd could line up against Chelsea
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’