Manchester United face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in today’s Premier League encounter.
The Red Devils were superb in midweek with a convincing 2-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford. It was a terrific response after the goalless stalemate against Newcastle United.
They will now travel to west London to face the Blues and it promises to be a tight contest. Each of the last four meetings have ended in draws. United will be hoping to come on top this time around.
David de Gea was a mere spectator against Antonio Conte’s side in midweek. The Spaniard is an undisputed starter in goal for the Red Devils in all competitions and will be eyeing his fourth successive clean sheet this evening.
The backline should remain as it is. Diogo Dalot has no competition in the right-back role at the moment and has started every game for the club.
Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez deserve their central defensive positions. The duo have complemented each other impressively.
At left-back, Luke Shaw should certainly keep his place ahead of Tyrell Malacia after three shut-outs.
In the centre of the park, Casemiro has made the holding midfield position his own since displacing Scott McTominay at the beginning of the month.
The Brazilian has looked better and better with every passing game. He has been winning more duels and only needs to improve on his ball retention.
His compatriot Fred should accompany him after a tremendous outing against Spurs. He was lively from the off and eventually bagged the first goal.
The 29-year-old was under-fire after a poor showing versus Newcastle but he stepped up big time on Wednesday with a magnificent performance.
Further forward, Antony looks set to continue from his regular right-wing role. He already has three goals since his arrival and was unlucky not to score in midweek.
Bruno Fernandes was another player that redeemed himself against Spurs. He was the stand-out performer and capped his showing with the second goal.
The Portuguese is expected to start from the number 10 position and it could be Jadon Sancho again from the left wing ahead of club graduate Anthony Elanga.
Sancho had a quiet first half against Spurs but came up with the assist for Fred’s goal after the break. He should get the nod, but Erik ten Hag will want a better display.
Up front, Marcus Rashford is a sure-shot starter with Cristiano Ronaldo suspended and Anthony Martial injured. The England star has much to prove against the Blues.
He has missed several clear-cut scoring chances in the past three games. The United graduate must find his scoring touch soon or could miss out on a World Cup spot.
How Man Utd could line up vs Chelsea
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio