Manchester United will be eyeing a third successive Premier League win when they face Aston Villa at Villa Park this evening.
The Red Devils are currently nine points adrift of the top four in the league and have a brilliant chance to cut the deficit to six points with another victory.
United came from two goals behind to register a stunning 3-2 win over Villa in the reverse fixture. Erik ten Hag will be eyeing another strong performance.
Ahead of the game, the club could be without two key players. Lisandro Martinez suffered a knee injury against West Ham United. He is out for at least eight weeks.
Meanwhile, Aaron Wan-Bissaka suffered a setback on his return to team training after an undefined injury. He is a big doubt to make the matchday squad today.
Andre Onana has played every minute of the club’s Premier League campaign in goal. The Cameroon international kept a good clean sheet against West Ham United last time around and he is assured to start between the sticks.
In front of him, there will be an enforced change with Martinez on the sidelines again. Victor Lindelof is fit after an injury lay-off of his own, but Ten Hag should give preference to Raphael Varane to partner Harry Maguire in central defence.
Irrespective of Wan-Bissaka’s setback, Diogo Dalot is now the undisputed starter in the right-back position. The Portuguese was an unsung hero in the 3-0 win over the Hammers where he made a terrific goal saving tackle at 2-0.
Luke Shaw is expected to continue from the left side of the four-man backline.
Casemiro had better control against the Hammers in midfield and seems to be getting back to his best. The Brazilian should keep his place in the number six role with Kobbie Mainoo playing slightly ahead of him in the centre of the park.
The attack should witness no changes. Alejandro Garnacho has made the right wing position his own ahead of Antony. The Argentine continued his fantastic form with a brace against the Hammers at Old Trafford last weekend.
Rasmus Hojlund can’t stop scoring at the moment. He broke his league goal drought against Villa in the reverse fixture and has since scored in the next three top-flight outings. The Dane should fancy another against a Villa side that lost 3-0 to Chelsea in the FA Cup fourth round replay.
Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes are likewise expected to keep their places. Rashford did not make a goal contribution versus the Hammers but he was brilliant with his movement and seems to be getting back to form at the right time.
Fernandes registered another assist last weekend. The Portuguese has not been at his scintillating best this campaign but he has still managed 14 goal contributions. He has a brilliant record versus Villa with seven goals and two assists in nine meetings.
How Man Utd could line up vs Aston Villa
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth