Manchester United will be eyeing back-to-back wins in the Premier League when they face Aston Villa at Villa Park this afternoon.
The Red Devils trail fourth-placed Newcastle United by one point in the standings and will be hoping to leapfrog them with a victory against Villa on the road.
United will be without several key players. Bruno Fernandes is probably the most high-profile absentee. He is suspended after accumulating five yellow cards.
David de Gea has been ever-present for the Red Devils in goal and has yet to be rested. The Spaniard was terrific against West Ham United last weekend with two world-class saves and replicated the performance at Real Sociedad, showing superb reflexes. He is expected to start between the sticks.
Diogo Dalot has been in the form of his life from the right-back role and he is clearly an undisputed starter ahead of Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who has managed just four minutes this term.
Luke Shaw has similarly emerged as a regular at left-back over the past month. The England star has displaced Tyrell Malacia with solid performances. He has two assists in this period.
At the heart of the defence, Lisandro Martinez is expected to start. The Argentine has been one of the signings of the season with his terrific concentration and ability to win regular duels.
With Raphael Varane still sidelined with a hamstring injury, Victor Lindelof looks set to partner Martinez. Erik ten Hag clearly said in midweek that Lindelof starts ahead of Harry Maguire on merit.
In the centre of the park, there could be a change. Casemiro and Christian Eriksen have been the regulars but the suspension of Fernandes could see Eriksen move into the number 10 position.
If that is the case, Fred seems likely to partner his compatriot Casemiro in midfield. Further forward, Marcus Rashford should be reinstated in the starting line-up from the left wing.
With Antony, Anthony Martial and Jadon Sancho doubtful, Alejandro Garnacho deserves to make his full Premier League debut. Cristiano Ronaldo is set to start up front for United.
How Man Utd are expected to line-up vs Aston Villa
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr