Manchester United will be aiming to return to winning ways when they entertain Aston Villa in the Carabao Cup third round today.
The Red Devils suffered a 3-1 Premier League defeat to the Villans on the road last weekend and have the chance to avenge the result at Old Trafford.
Ahead of the game, manager Erik ten Hag has said that he will play a strong team to win. There should be a number of league regulars involved.
David de Gea has played every single minute of the club’s campaign so far. He could be rested for the Cup tie with loan signing Martin Dubravka making his United debut.
Diogo Dalot is suspended for the final Premier League game before the World Cup break after receiving his fifth yellow card of the top-flight campaign against Villa on Sunday.
Hence, there is no reason for him to be rested. We see the Portuguese continuing at right-back.
Elsewhere, we may see Harry Maguire partner Lisandro Martinez in central defence. Victor Lindelof had a tough outing at Villa Park and he could be benched for the club captain.
Tyrell Malacia is likely to get the nod over Luke Shaw at left-back, having lost his place for the league games. The Dutchman has a point to prove after dropping down the pecking order.
Casemiro and Christian Eriksen have been the regular pairing in midfield since October. Ten Hag may resist the temptation to rest both players against a high pressing Villa outfit.
In our view, Casemiro may continue in the holding midfield role. Fred could come in for Eriksen in the number eight position. The duo will be sharing the pitch for Brazil later this month.
Further forward, Bruno Fernandes is expected to start ahead of Donny van de Beek in the number 10 spot after serving his league suspension. Van de Beek had a poor outing at Villa Park.
Either side of the Portuguese, it could be Anthony Elanga and Marcus Rashford. Ten Hag made the bizarre decision to start Rashford on the right wing at Villa Park which simply failed to work out.
Rashford is at his best from the left flank and should reclaim his spot today. The tactical switch could see Alejandro Garnacho drop to the bench after a quiet full league debut last weekend.
With Antony and Jadon Sancho doubtful, Elanga should make the cut on the right wing where he is accustomed to playing. He had some stand-out displays from the position last term.
Up front, it should be Anthony Martial over Cristiano Ronaldo. The France international is back after his third injury of the season. Hopefully, he has got over his injury troubles.
Martial has three goals and two assists from just five appearances. His form could have taken him to the World Cup with Les Bleus, had he stayed fit over the past three months.
How Man Utd could line up vs Aston Villa
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd should sign Youri Tielemans
- Anthony Martial could stay at Man Utd despite being ‘transfer listed’
- Thomas Zilliacus could consider buying Liverpool if Manchester United bid fails
- Man Utd could avoid signing Houssem Aouar despite journalist claim
- Newcastle United in advanced talks to sign Man Utd’s Head of Young Recruitment David Harrison
- 100% aerial duels & 100% take-ons won: Man Utd should target Amadou Onana
- Wout Weghorst opens up on life at Man Utd
- Fresh date confirmed for Man Utd’s postponed fixture, one more game rescheduled
- ‘Serious option’: Raphael Varane opens the door to retiring at Man Utd
- Man United owners will consider selling minority shares if revised bids don’t impress them