Manchester United made a dismal start to their European campaign, losing 1-0 to Real Sociedad at Old Trafford in September.
But their subsequent three victories have almost guaranteed their progress to the knockout stage of the prestigious competition.
United are currently second in their group and require one more point in their next home encounter against Sheriff Tiraspol to qualify for the next round.
However, finishing top of the group will be difficult for Erik ten Hag’s side.
Assuming Sociedad and United both win their games tonight, the final group standings will depend on the match between the two sides next week.
The Red Devils would need to win by a two-goal margin to finish above Sociedad.
Possible Manchester United opponents
Finishing top of the group is looking unlikely for United, and they will face a play-off against one of the teams dropping down from the Champions League if they finish runners-up.
Barcelona have already exited the premier European competition after picking up just four points from their first five matches. The Spanish giants could come up against United in February.
Juventus and Atletico Madrid are the other two big clubs to have suffered an early elimination from the Champions League. Their third-place finish isn’t guaranteed, but they could be the Red Devils’ opponents in the play-offs.
Erik ten Hag’s side could also be faced with the possibility of playing against Ajax or Sporting Lisbon, with the two clubs looking likely to finish third in their respective groups.
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts