Manchester United came from behind to book their place in next month’s FA Cup final with a 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley Stadium this afternoon.
Dele Alli had put Spurs ahead after only 11 minutes before Alexis Sanchez headed home our equaliser midway through the first half. Ander Herrera popped up to poke home our winner on the hour.
We will face either Chelsea or Southampton on Saturday 19 May with their semi-final taking place tomorrow.
Here are how our payers fared:
David de Gea 6 – Didn’t have a chance with Dele Alli’s opening goal and didn’t have much else to do all day.
Antonio Valencia 8 – Kept Heung-min Son quiet down the left wing but was the closest defender to Alli for Spurs’ opener as the England international nipped in at the back stick. Limped off in the final 10 minutes.
Phil Jones 8 – Kept Harry Kane quiet as Tottenham rarely threatened David de Gea after their quick start. Made some important tackles and blocks in that opening 20 minutes when we were on the back foot.
Chris Smalling 8 – Made an important block to deny Harry Kane inside the penalty area early in the second half and stopped Tottenham’s attack through the middle in general.
Ashley Young 6 – Out of position to allow Christian Eriksen time and space to set up their opener. Ashley Young did put some good crosses into the box at the other end though.
Nemanja Matic 6 – Quiet game from the Serbian who didn’t get many touches on the ball at all by his standards. Struggled to compete with Spurs’ pace in the opening 20 minutes in particular.
Ander Herrera 8 – Another energetic display in winning the ball back time and time again in the middle of the park and then popped up with a fine strike on the hour to book our place in next month’s final.
Paul Pogba 8 – Showed up on the big occasion once again. Paul Pogba was excellent in winning the ball back around Tottenham’s penalty area and then provided an excellent cross for Alexis Sanchez’s equaliser. The French international forced saves out of Michel Vorm in a good showing.
Jesse Lingard 6 – Made some excellent runs off the ball but ultimately Jesse Lingard didn’t test the Spurs goalkeeper nor create any chances himself.
Romelu Lukaku 6 – A poor effort to control the ball led to an accidental assist for Herrera’s winner. Romelu Lukaku failed to test Vorm himself.
Alexis Sanchez 8 – Scored the equaliser we needed after struggling in the opening 20 minutes. Alexis Sanchez worked hard off the ball and was creative on it.
Matteo Darmian (11 mins) N/A – Replaced the injured Antonio Valencia for the final 10 minutes in making his second appearance in less than a week.
Marcus Rashford (8 mins) N/A – Brought on to offer a threat on the counter-attack in the final 10 minutes with a one-goal lead. Barely got a touch of the ball.
Marouane Fellaini (0 mins) N/A – Brought on for the final few seconds and had enough time to win a header.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday