Marouane Fellaini came up with a stoppage time winner to guarantee Manchester United Champions League football next season in what was Arsene Wenger’s final game at Old Trafford as Arsenal manager.
Paul Pogba had given us an early lead when rebounding home from inside the six-yard box after Alexis Sanchez’s header had been deflected onto the post.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan equalised for the Gunners five minutes into the second half after Ander Herrera had sloppily conceded possession inside our own half.
We went gung-ho in closing minutes of the game leading to Ashley Young’s inswinging cross from deep being flicked home by Marouane Fellaini for a 2-1 win.
Here are how our players fared:
David de Gea 6 – Didn’t have a chance with Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s equaliser and didn’t have a lot else to do all game.
Antonio Valencia 7 – Saw a lot of the ball but didn’t create anything when bombing forward down the right. Kept youngster Reiss Nelson quiet before Arsene Wenger made a switch just after the hour.
Victor Lindelof 7 – Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang had one excellent headed opportunity but otherwise our defence kept the Arsenal striker quiet for 90 minutes.
Chris Smalling 7 – Comfortable game at the back for Chris Smalling alongside Victor Lindelof.
Ashley Young 7 – Henrikh Mkhitaryan caused one or two problems down our left side whilst Ashley Young had another quiet game going forward until providing the assist for Fellaini’s winner in stoppage time.
Nemanja Matic 7 – Saw a lot of the ball and looked after it well. Nemanja Matic didn’t allow Alex Iwobi or Ainsley Maitland-Niles to create anything from the middle of the park.
Ander Herrera 6 – Another hardworking display in the middle of the park that saw Ander Herrera winning the ball back for us a number of times. Carelessly conceded possession to set up Arsenal’s equaliser. A little surprised to see the Spaniard replaced just after the hour but Jose Mourinho wanted to introduce plan B.
Paul Pogba 7 – Good goalscoring instinct in the goal he scored but Paul Pogba did waste a few other opportunities. Created little and didn’t dominate the midfield today despite Arsenal’s defence and midfield looking very open in the first 20 minutes.
Jesse Lingard 5 – Quiet game down the right wing from Jesse Lingard who was replaced by Anthony Martial for the final half hour.
Romelu Lukaku 5 – Excellent cross that led to Pogba’s goal but otherwise Romelu Lukaku barely touched the ball and didn’t produce a single effort to test David Ospina. Replaced four minutes into the second half.
Alexis Sanchez 6 – Saw a close-range effort blocked onto the post for Paul Pogba to rebound us in front. After that Alexis Sanchez had a rather quiet game.
Marcus Rashford (41 mins) 5 – Given a rare chance up front for the best part of the second half but Marcus Rashford failed to make an influence on the game.
Marouane Fellaini (27 mins) 6 – Brought on so we could play the long ball game and it came off in stoppage time as Marouane Fellaini flicked home Ashley Young’s cross for the winner.
Anthony Martial (27 mins) 5 – Never really got into the game Jose made a double change in the final half hour as we searched for a winner.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd