Manchester United were 2-0 winners over Derby County in the third round of the FA Cup in a game we never looked like losing.
We created chance after chance before Jesse Lingard opened the scoring with a sublime 20-yard strike on 84 minutes and then Romelu Lukaku wrapped it up on the counter-attack in the final minute.
The Championship side offered very little threat all evening and were saved twice by the post and some excellent saves from Scott Carson before we finally scored.
Here is how our players fared:
Sergio Romero 6
Barely tested but there were a couple of times he should have caught or held onto the ball when he punched or palmed it back to Derby instead. Made a smart save to deny a Marcus Olsson header in the first half.
Victor Lindelof 7
Comfortable in possession and not much got passed him when he stayed in his right-back position but did get dragged inside a couple of times.
Chris Smalling 8
A commanding performance which included a couple of blocks and winning aerial battles. Chris Smalling didn’t allow Derby any serious chances.
Daley Blind 6
Tom Lawrence caused Daley Blind a fair few problems when he ran at the Dutch defender playing centre-back this evening.
Luke Shaw 8
Pinned Johnny Russell and Andre Wisdom in their own half by offering width going forward and defended well when called upon.
Ander Herrera 5
Did a woeful job of preventing Derby from running through the centre of midfield and his passing was off colour today. Surprised not to see him replaced in the second half.
Paul Pogba 8
Another dominating performance from the French star who pinned Derby back in their own half and penalty area for large periods of the game. Did miss an excellent chance in the final 20 minutes from 15 yards after Scott Carson parried Jesse Lingard’s shot into his path. Forced a few saves from Scott Carson including a free kick that was headed for the top corner.
Juan Mata 7
Good on the ball as usual and created a couple of chances, though none of them led to goals. Completed 100% of his passes before being replaced by Anthony Martial midway through the second half when Derby’s defence started to tire.
Jesse Lingard 7
Bright start as we attacked early on before a quiet spell in the game. Jesse Lingard then came up with an immaculate winner with a half volley into the top corner from 20 yards, giving Carson no chance.
Henrikh Mkhitaryan 5
Created an excellent opportunity for Marcus Rashford in the first half but otherwise poor in the final third before being replaced at half-time.
Marcus Rashford 5
Poor performance up front – Marcus Rashford fired two good chances over the bar and hit the post with a free header from six yards out in the first half. Was unlucky with an effort that came out off the inside of the post in the second half.
Romelu Lukaku (45 mins) 6 – Missed a good header within 10 minutes of coming on at half-time. Helped pin Derby’s defence back and linked up well with Anthony Martial before scoring our second goal.
Anthony Martial (33 mins) 6 – Came on when Derby’s defence and midfield were visibly starting to tire and didn’t have a huge impact until the second goal.
Marouane Fellaini (10 mins) N/A – Brought on at 0-0 and we ended up winning 2-0, need I say more?
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe now seriously considering buying minority Manchester United stake
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash