Manchester City have confirmed they have completed the signing of Manchester United defender target John Stones on August 9, Tuesday.
The 22-year-old left Everton and made a switch to the Etihad, signing a six-year deal with Pep Guardiola’s side. Before he joined City, he was also a target for their local rivals as the Sun reported that the England international was wanted by the Red Devils manager Jose Mourinho, who is an admirer of the central defender.
United manager is looking to further strengthen his side’s back four for the 2016-17 Premier League season, having already added Eric Bailly to the squad.
However, Stones decided to join City as he became their eighth signing of the current summer transfer window. They have already added Ilkay Gundogan, Nolito, Aleksandar Zinchenko, Aaron Mooy, Leroy Sane, Gabriel Jesus and Marlos Moreno this summer.
A statement on City’s official website read, ” Manchester City are delighted to announce the permanent transfer of John Stones from Everton. The England international defender has signed a six-year deal which will keep him at the Etihad Stadium until at least 2022.”
Stones will wear No 24 shirt at City and he explains why he decided to join the former Barcelona manager at the Etihad. He also went on to thank Everton and wished them lick for the upcoming campaign.
“I’m absolutely delighted to sign for City and now the deal’s done I’m looking forward to the next stage in my career,” Stones told City’s official website.
“I’ve obviously seen what’s going on here at the Etihad, it’s an ambitious Club with a great manager so I can’t wait to get stuck in and help achieve the goals.
“I know it will be tough getting a place in this team but I’m determined to become the best player I can be and help us to success. I had a wonderful time with Everton and wish them and their fans all the best but now I’ll give my all for City.”
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one
- Report: ‘Dazzling’ Benjamin Sesko knows Manchester United want him but PSG blow is last thing Erik ten Hag needs
- Erik ten Hag wants Cody Gakpo at Manchester United