Talented Leeds United goalkeeper Illan Meslier would be a brilliant signing for Manchester United in our view.
The 22-year-old Leeds ace is a transfer target for United manager Erik ten Hag, according to a report from Media Foot.
Leeds signed Meslier from Lorient in 2020 for around £5 million (The Athletic) after he spent the previous campaign on loan at Elland Road. And he has gone on to be a superb signing for the Whites.
With Ten Hag on the hunt for a long-term David de Gea replacement, the French stopper would be the perfect addition to his ranks at Old Trafford.
Manchester United signing Illan Meslier would be superb business
Leeds will obviously be reluctant to deal with their bitter rivals Man United. However, they may well be tempted to do business if United meet their valuation of the goalkeeper.
According to the Daily Star (print edition August 17), Leeds value Meslier at around £25m. That would represent sensational business for United, and Ten Hag should be going all out to make it happen.
The young goalkeeper really does look the business, and he is undoubtedly the real deal. There is a very good chance that he will go on to become one of the very best goalkeepers in world football.
For such a young man, he is already looking like a proven and established Premier League stopper. Goalkeepers don’t usually hit their prime until they reach 30. So there is no telling just how good the Leeds ace will go on to become.
Meslier has really impressed for the west Yorkshire outfit. He has conceded 166 goals in 103 games for Leeds, keeping 27 clean sheets in the process.
The Leeds ace is a fantastic shot-stopper with incredible reflexes. Meslier is very comfortable with the ball at his feet and possesses an exceptional range of passing. He has been hailed as a ‘phenomenal’ goalkeeper by Leeds Live.
The 22-year-old would be a real upgrade on Ten Hag’s current goalkeeping options at United. And the Dutchman really should be going all out to sign the Leeds ace in January.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer