Paulo Dybala remains a transfer option for Manchester United amid doubts surrounding the future of Cristiano Ronaldo, Corriere dello Sport claim (today’s edition, page 15).
The Red Devils currently have Ronaldo as their specialist striker while Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford are also capable of leading the line when required.
Earlier today, United boss Erik ten Hag said that he is counting on Ronaldo for next season, but there are still questions whether the Portuguese will stay beyond the summer.
The 37-year-old is driven by the desire to play Champions League football for the 20th-straight season. This could tempt him to pursue a new challenge over the coming weeks.
Amidst this, Corriere dello Sport report that Arsenal but ‘especially United’ could be options for Dybala, who is currently a free-agent after seven seasons with Juventus.
The publication goes on to highlight the possibility of Ronaldo heading for the exit door. It is claimed that they would want ‘another star’ to replace the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
Dybala could prove a risky piece of business
Dybala had a good final season with Juventus, registering 15 goals and six assists from 39 outings. However, he was absent for around 16 competitive games with minor injuries.
This should be the first warning sign for United. The Red Devils don’t need any more injury-plagued players, particularly after the recent experience with centre-back Raphael Varane.
Meanwhile, Dybala is no longer in the prime years of his career. He will be 29 in November this year, and there is a possibility that his performances could drop within a season or two.
Aside from this, the Argentine can’t be considered as a like-for-like replacement for Ronaldo. He does not have the aerial presence and prefers to play as the second striker.
Overall, he could prove a risky signing for United. Dybala was previously fancied to join Inter for £5 million in annual wages, but Italy allow a 50 per cent tax-exemption on salaries.
If he were to move to Old Trafford, the wage package would be significantly more aside from a huge signing-on fee. The Red Devils could be better off looking elsewhere.
There are claims that Moussa Dembele could be available on a cut-price deal. The Frenchman is coming off a 22-goal season with Lyon, and seems a better option.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic
- Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United: Europa League preview, team news & predicted starting XI