Manchester United legend Paul Scholes hailed midfielder Bruno Fernandes describing the Portuguese sensation as someone who is ‘better’ than him. Scholes had a memorable career at Old Trafford. He scored 107 goals in 499 Premier League appearances for the clubs and made 55 assists. He won 11 Premier League titles and 2 UEFA Champions League trophies at Manchester United.
But Scholes believes that Fernandes is a better player than him as he is not only scoring more goals but also creating more chances than he did when he was 26 years old. Fernandes, since signing with the club has been involved with 31 goals in 28 Premier League appearances. His current form has given United a major boost this season, and despite insipid performances at home, the club is still in the top four in Premier League and is seen as a possible title contender.
Speaking on United’s Tunnel Insider show, Scholes said: “What he’s doing is phenomenal, really.
“I think if you look, since he’s been [here], United would be top of the league if they won their game in hand, with more points than Liverpool, which is strange to think really because they’ve had such a bad start to the season.
“Well, you thought it was a bad start to the season, but they’re still right in there and I think they can only get better,’ he added.
Scholes said that he would love to play with Fernandes. “The numbers he’s produced are just ridiculous, let’s hope he carries on. He’s better than me. He’s different to me. He scores more goals than me, he creates more goals than me.
“I’d like to play with him, probably behind him would be alright. But no, he’s been sensational, a big difference,” Scholes said.
“I think before he came to the team, United could hardly create a chance with some of the stuff they were playing, but now they look like they can score three, four or five goals every game,” he added.
United will look to break into top two when they face off against the Wolves on Sunday. They are currently placed at the fourth position with 27 points in 14 games, just 5 points behind table-toppers Liverpool.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin