Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba could make a shock free transfer to Manchester City this summer, according to The Daily Mail.
The Frenchman has been with the Red Devils for the past six seasons, but appears on course to leave when his contract expires on June 30.
Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain have been mentioned as potential destinations, but City have now emerged as surprise contenders.
Pep Guardiola is eyeing a versatile central midfielder to replace Fernandinho, and Pogba is under consideration for the role.
A major stumbling block for the deal would be City’s fierce rivalry with United, but Pogba has not ruled out a move to the English champions.
Carlo Tevez was the last United player to cross the divide. The Argentine spoiled his legacy with the Red Devils by making the switch.
Pogba has had a mixed opinion among the club’s faithful, but the prospect of him moving to the Etihad could lead to a furious response.
Unlike Tevez, Pogba graduated through the youth ranks at United and it would lead to a never-ending break-up with the supporters.
The World Cup winner could be better off joining Juventus or Paris Saint-Germain, but the nightmare situation of him at City can’t be ruled out.
He is currently on wages of around £290,000-a-week. City are capable of offering a pay rise with the tempting prospect of staying in Manchester.
Pogba has his destiny in his own hands at the moment, but should consider leaving the Premier League if he has no plans to prolong his United stay.
Meanwhile, the Red Devils may have probably missed the trick by not offloading the £49.5 million-rated star amid his contract stand-off.
It will cost a premium fee to pursue a quality box-to-box midfielder. Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has recently emerged as the prime target.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Sir Dave Brailsford and Jean-Claude Blanc meet Manchester United executives at Old Trafford as Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25% acquisition edges closer
- Man Utd showing interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Donyell Malen
- Man Utd confirm Amad Diallo has returned to full training ahead of Bournemouth game
- United boss Erik ten Hag shuts the door on January reinforcement
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns