Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba could make a shock free transfer to Manchester City this summer, according to The Daily Mail.
The Frenchman has been with the Red Devils for the past six seasons, but appears on course to leave when his contract expires on June 30.
Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain have been mentioned as potential destinations, but City have now emerged as surprise contenders.
Pep Guardiola is eyeing a versatile central midfielder to replace Fernandinho, and Pogba is under consideration for the role.
A major stumbling block for the deal would be City’s fierce rivalry with United, but Pogba has not ruled out a move to the English champions.
Carlo Tevez was the last United player to cross the divide. The Argentine spoiled his legacy with the Red Devils by making the switch.
Pogba has had a mixed opinion among the club’s faithful, but the prospect of him moving to the Etihad could lead to a furious response.
Unlike Tevez, Pogba graduated through the youth ranks at United and it would lead to a never-ending break-up with the supporters.
The World Cup winner could be better off joining Juventus or Paris Saint-Germain, but the nightmare situation of him at City can’t be ruled out.
He is currently on wages of around £290,000-a-week. City are capable of offering a pay rise with the tempting prospect of staying in Manchester.
Pogba has his destiny in his own hands at the moment, but should consider leaving the Premier League if he has no plans to prolong his United stay.
Meanwhile, the Red Devils may have probably missed the trick by not offloading the £49.5 million-rated star amid his contract stand-off.
It will cost a premium fee to pursue a quality box-to-box midfielder. Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has recently emerged as the prime target.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?