Paul Pogba produced a quality midfield performance for Manchester United during their 1-1 Premier League draw against Southampton on Saturday.
The Red Devils have been in a poor run of form since their winter break, and they have now gone three games in all competitions without a victory.
They recently played out a frustrating 1-1 league draw on the road to Burnley. It was pretty much a repeat against Southampton at Old Trafford.
Despite the disappointing result, there were some positives to take forward from the game. Jadon Sancho scored for the second home game running.
Meanwhile, Pogba has been in flourishing form since his injury comeback. He was a class apart with his midfield showing against the Saints.
The 28-year-old had 77 touches during the 90 minutes. He controlled proceedings in midfield, winning a stunning 11 ground and aerial duels.
The midfielder also managed to deliver seven long balls while registering four clearances, two tackles, two take-ons and one interception.
It was another quality all-round display from the £49.5 million-rated star, but he was not on the winning side once more.
A lapse in defensive concentration saw Burnley score an equaliser shortly after the break on Tuesday. It was deja-vu against the Saints.
The results are bound to prove costly for United in their Champions League pursuit, particularly with the fierce competition behind them.
They are currently only goal difference behind fourth-placed West Ham United but have a significant disadvantage with Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.
The Gunners are just one point behind with two games in hand, while Spurs are four points adrift with three extra matches left to play.
The Red Devils don’t have time to ponder over recent setbacks and need to return to winning ways against Brighton & Hove Albion in midweek.
It could be another difficult encounter. The Seagulls are ninth in the table and are tough to beat with just four losses from their 23 league games.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final