Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has agreed personal terms over a three-year contract with Juventus, Italian outlet Gazzetta dello Sport claims.
The Frenchman has been sidelined for the past four weeks with a calf injury, and may have played his final game for the Red Devils.
He is set to walk out when his contract expires on June 30, and Gazzetta claims that Juventus are on the verge of re-signing him on a free transfer.
The 29-year-old has agreed terms over a three-year deal worth €7.5 million per season which could rise to €10m with performance-based bonuses.
Paris Saint-Germain have also been heavily linked with Pogba, but he has now accepted a significant 45 per cent pay-cut to rejoin the Bianconeri.
Pogba’s future has been a major topic of speculation in recent months, but it always seemed that he would be heading for the exit door.
The midfielder has generally had a mixed opinion among United fans. While he has put in stand-out displays, he has failed to replicate the same level of consistency shown while playing for France.
He now appears to be heading back to the Bianconeri. His departure will leave a void for United to fill. The hierarchy could have reacted better by offloading him during last summer’s transfer window.
Pogba’s 12-month extension clause became active last summer. There was the opportunity for the club to cash in, knowing that he would be free to negotiate a pre-contract with a foreign club in January.
However, that was not the case. The board hoped to convince Pogba to prolong his stay at some stage this season, but the poor league campaign may have influenced his decision to move on.
United are set to finish with their worst-ever points tally in a Premier League campaign. It could be a season in the Europa League or Europa Conference League based on tomorrow’s result.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest