Manchester United face Tottenham Hotspur at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in their second Premier League game of the 2023-24 campaign on Saturday.
Manager Erik ten Hag will be expecting a better performance from his team after their laborious 1-0 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday.
However, Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson does not see the Red Devils winning against Spurs if they produce a similar display, and has predicted a 2-2 draw between the teams.
“If Manchester United play like they did last week, they won’t win,” he told Sportskeeda.
“But that’s the thing about United; they are often not at their best and still manage to win.
“They’ll be a lot more solid this weekend against Spurs than they were against Wolves.
“I think Spurs are going to be an interesting team to watch this season. I like the manager and they’ll finally be playing the ‘Tottenham’ way.
“They have a good set of players, but replacing Harry Kane’s goals is going to be a massive task for them. We’re talking about replacing 30-odd goals in a season.
“That being said, they are likely to do well against United as the Red Devils look like they’re a fair bit away from settling down or hitting their stride.”
Man United should expect a tough clash against a Tottenham side desperate to prove that there is life after Kane, and both sides have a point to prove on Saturday.
Spurs drew 2-2 against Brentford in their Premier League opener and will be hungry to get a result against the Red Devils.
Ten Hag is still likely to be without Denmark international striker Rasmus Hojlund for the game as the summer arrival strives to make a full recovery from a back injury.
Lisandro Martinez could also be unavailable for the trip to London after he was withdrawn ahead of the second half against Wolves due to a knock.
Man United will fancy their chances against a Kane-less Tottenham, and leaving with all three points will be a considerable boost.
They want to challenge for the Premier League title this season, and they need to prove their credentials by playing well and beating Tottenham.
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray