Paris Saint-Germain are lining up a surprise move for Manchester United captain Harry Maguire ahead of the summer transfer window, according to The Sun.
The England international has had a difficult season with the Red Devils and he is currently a back-up central defender behind Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez.
Victor Lindelof and Luke Shaw have also been preferred ahead of him on occasions this term and it is likely that the 30-year-old will move on during the summer.
Serie A giants Inter Milan have been credited with an interest in his services but The Sun claim that Paris Saint-Germain could make a shock £50 million move for him.
The report adds that a deal ‘was on the table’ for the Red Devils skipper during the winter transfer window but ‘time ran out’ before a transfer could be finalised.
United likely to sell Maguire for young replacement
Maguire has been clearly out-of-favour under manager Erik ten Hag this campaign and he has been used sparingly from the starting line-up over the past few months.
The England star has continued to remain positive over his situation but he is likely to push for an exit as his lack of minutes could hamper his national team selection.
The centre-back is one of the undisputed starters for the Three Lions but he can’t take his place for granted and needs regular minutes to receive future call-ups.
Meanwhile, the speculation linking him with Les Parisiens comes as a surprise, considering they already have an agreement to sign Milan Skriniar on a free transfer.
In our view, the French champions could be looking to overhaul their central defensive options and the likes of Presnel Kimpembe and Sergio Ramos could leave.
Otherwise, there is no other reason why they would make such a huge outlay on Maguire. If a transfer materialises, it is a win-win situation for both clubs.
Les Parisiens could assure Maguire with the regular game time he craves for while United would recoup valuable funds for the purchase of a younger centre-back.
Inter Milan’s Alessandro Bastoni and Napoli’s Kim Min-jae are among players on the club’s radar.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books