Paris Saint-Germain had identified Marcus Rashford as a potential candidate to replace Kylian Mbappe during last summer’s transfer window, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano reports.
The England international has been a key player for the Red Devils over the past six years, but it has recently been reported that he has grown frustrated by his limited playing time.
Rashford has been a regular on the bench under interim boss Ralf Rangnick since the turn of the year. He is now said to want ‘clarity‘ over his future with the Red Devils.
Amidst this, Romano has revealed that Paris Saint-Germain had Rashford as a transfer candidate last summer if they sanctioned the sale of Mbappe to Real Madrid.
Rashford has undoubtedly been one of the club’s best graduates.
The 24-year-old had his best campaign last season with 21 goals and 15 assists from 57 games but has failed to replicate the showing this term.
He missed the first two months after surgery on a nagging shoulder problem. It was anticipated that it could bring the best out of him.
However, it has not been the case thus far. He has registered just five goals and one assist from 24 appearances across all competitions.
While his form has been concerning, the £76.5 million-rated star has not been helped by the lack of regular starts under Rangnick.
He surprisingly started on the bench for the Manchester derby despite Cristiano Ronaldo and Edinson Cavani being injured.
Rashford’s current deal expires in the summer of 2023, but United have the option to extend his contract by another 12 months.
With that in mind, the club have no plans of considering his departure this summer, but there is bound to be plenty of speculation.
The hierarchy believe Rashford has the ‘makings of a very top player‘. His fortunes could change under the next permanent manager.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?