Some reports are linking United with a move for rebellious Monaco midfielder, Nampalys Mendy.
Mendy has informed his club of his decision to leave on a free transfer this summer and United are apparently on ‘high alert’.
A product of Monaco’s youth system, Mendy, compared by educated onlookers with France’s most infamous defensive midfielder, Claude Makalele, was integral to Monaco’s Ligue 1 success last season and United appear tempted to put their faith in youth once more with the 20 year-old French youth International.
Current Monaco Head Coach, Claudio Ranieri, is baffled at Mendy’s decision to quit and he was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail, “I do not understand his attitude. As soon as I saw him play, I said here is our Makelele. I trusted him and I played him. I think he will miss out on a great deal. But it’s his life, not mine. He has preferred to listen to his brother and agent and not his coach. It’s a shame.”
United do have some opposition for his signature however but it’s unlikely Ligue 1 outfit Nice could persuade Mendy to sign for them rather than the Champions of England if they were indeed serious.
If this story has any truth, do we really need to risk obtaining another Paul Pogba-esque figure? Wasn’t his agent a family member and didn’t that cause strife within contract negotiations? Good and promising player he may be, but does Moyes need to take the risk of acquiring a possible avenue for future trouble regardless of his need to bolster central midfield?
- ‘A complete and very intelligent player’: Man Utd target backed to shine in the Premier League
- Hannibal Mejbri could become a regular starter under Erik ten Hag after ‘excellent’ display
- Jonny Evans delivers fantastic performance in 200th appearance for Man Utd
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Mejbri starts
- ‘Very happy with him’: Erik ten Hag praises Sergio Reguilon ahead of Burnley clash
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount is an option on the right wing vs Burnley
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Varane returns in three changes
- Erik ten Hag on Jadon Sancho’s Man Utd future
- Romero says Man Utd star thought he was God on earth, was like that 24 hours a day
- Erik ten Hag hints four Man Utd stars could return vs Burnley