A section of the Manchester United fans have appreciated the performance of midfielder Fred during the 2-0 Premier League defeat to Liverpool on the road on Sunday evening.
The Brazil international has been a regular in the central midfield for most of the season and he came up with another credible performance at Anfield despite the club failing to find the net.
The 26-year-old impressed alongside Nemanja Matic in the centre of the park and he ended the game with an impressive defensive display which included three tackles and four interceptions, as per whoscored.
He also showed the intent to link up with the forwards in the attack with his regular runs from the midfield and he was able to register two key passes and three take-ons in the process.
Though United were on the losing side, a number of the club’s supporters have lauded the display from Fred with a few of them indicating that the midfielder had one of his best games in the Red Devils shirt.
Fred vs Liverpool:
83% pass accuracy
59 passes completed
— 23 forward passes
3 tackles won
3 dribbles completed
2 chances created
He was our best player today and has consistently been fantastic this season. pic.twitter.com/CuA043hUNJ
— UtdArena. (@utdarena) January 19, 2020
A disappointing result and largely disappointing season but we’ve just witnessed an incredible advert for a complete midfield performance from Fred. Defensively, offensively, interceptions, taking attacks to Liverpool. He was so, so good.
— The Man Utd Way (@TheManUtdWay) January 19, 2020
Fred has put in some top performances against Barca, PSG, Liverpool, City, Spurs etc. What a player man, people are finally giving him the credit he deserves
— Tom (@CynicalLive) January 19, 2020
Want positive Ali today?
Fred only player that can leave that pitch with his head held high. Good performance.
— Ali. (@UtdAlii) January 19, 2020
Fred was absolutely superb today. #MUFC
— MUFC Scoop (@MUFCScoop) January 19, 2020
At the beginning of the season, Fred looked out of contention for a midfield role with Paul Pogba, Scott McTominay and Andreas Pereira being the regular picks for the manager in the Premier League.
However, the injury for Pogba improved his playing time under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his performances have since improved game-by-game and he is now one of the first choices for the starting XI.
Aside from Fred, Nemanja Matic and Luke Shaw had impressive displays in Merseyside. Shaw, who recently returned from an illness, started in a central defensive role. He made 12 clearances including one to deny Sadio Mane with a clear-cut attempt on goal.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin