Manchester United should consider letting Chelsea have a free run at Inter Milan right-back Denzel Dumfries this summer.
Gazzetta dello Sport claims that both United and Chelsea want to sign the 26-year-old Inter ace in the summer transfer window with the Serie A outfit demanding a huge €50 million (£42m) fee.
However, we believe that there is a lot better value for money to be had out there in the transfer market this summer. Some might think that missing out on Dumfries to Chelsea would be a big blow for United.
We would suggest otherwise though. Erik ten Hag wants to bring Barcelona star Sergino Dest to Old Trafford this summer according to The Sun.
The 21-year-old Barca ace is available for around £21m (Barca Universal) – an absolute bargain in this day and age.
That’s half the money that Inter want for Dumfries – it’s a no-brainer really. Dest is five years younger as well.
Manchester United should let Chelsea have Denzel Dumfries
With United and Chelsea both keen to sign the 26-year-old, ten Hag should just back off in our opinion.
Described as an explosive right-back by the Chronicle, Dumfries would be a big upgrade on Aaron Wan-Bissaka in our book. Dest would be an even bigger improvement and a cheaper one at that.
In 21 La Liga appearances for Barcelona last season, Dest bagged three assists and bagged 1.3 tackles, 0.8 clearances and 1.8 dribbles per game.
Dest is clearly an exciting young talent, albeit far from the finished article. With good coaching, the South American will undoubtedly go on to become a big star.
The Brazilian possesses pace in abundance and has really impressive technical ability. Dest can operate on the left-hand side of defence as well and that will obviously appeal to ten Hag.
In our view, the Barcelona ace would be a better long-term option for United than the Inter Milan right-back.
And United should just let Chelsea have a free run at Dumfries this summer.
Stats via Who Scored.
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot