This is not going to be about Saturday’s game, per se. I won’t dwell on the performance beyond what I’ve already written about yesterday. But I forgot to touch on one aspect that stuck out for me. I can’t help but shake the sense of confusion that’s descended, and hence, consider this to be a question posed to you to clear my head.
John Terry was sent off against Man City for serious foul play on Jo. Terry argued that Carvalho was the last man of defence. Mark Halsey, the referee, was having none of it and sent him off on grounds of foul play, instead of a professional foul. Those who have seen that video will no doubt know there was only malicious intent in that rugby tackle. However, Terry’s red card was rescinded by Keith Hackett who also gets his ban revoked.
Steven Gerrard was surging towards goal. Vidic brings him down. Ferdinand was the last line of defence and Alan Wiley sends Vidic off for serious foul play. Vidic gets a two match ban.
Someone kindly explain in what way the above two cases differ. I am honestly confused.
1. Scott has been equally critical about the decision making of the FA.
2. Blog United reckons it wasn’t even a foul in the first place, and backs his case with stills — I’m not entirely sure about that though.
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?