On the Nani and Ronaldo interviews…

Two things came up yesterday. Both through interviews with Portuguese players: one a current player, another a former red.

First, Nani:

“People expect more from me and it’s not easy. ‘I’. “I could be doing better, scoring more, but just think, I make a huge game today but the next one, I’m not even sure that I will play. Such a situation breaks the confidence. I know it is still early and that there are lots of games to play this season but I never got to play the big matches like Liverpool, Manchester City or Tottenham and, if I don’t play those matches, I get sadder by the day. I also played through a foot injury so we’ll see if things improve from now on.”

Now, it goes without saying there’s a tinge — to put it mildly — of frustration, mixed with a hint of resignation in the tone. Ferguson has obviously shown much more faith in Valencia this season — playing him in as many games as he could (especially in the big ones) — when conventions indicate the senior player would at least be given a chance to prove himself. Giggsy’s early season form, coupled with Nani’s schizophrenic displays haven’t done him any favours. I could hazard a guess and say he was more of Queiroz’s boy, and it appears — to me, at least — that Ferguson never really warmed up to him. And whilst his handling of the winger last season was a bit dodgy, Nani hasn’t done enough to suggest he demands a regular starting place.

I still think he deserves a fair run this season. Oh, and the money quote that’s made good headlines today, ie, his comments on the manager:

[Sir Alex] goes: ‘Nani, how could you miss this or this?’ No one is safe in the pitch. He treats all the players as equals. Even Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville get it but it takes longer with them because they are more experienced.

“And it is always with ‘Fuck this’ and ‘Fuck that’ back and forth. He is a very complicated guy, very complicated and he is tough. If things are OK, he will be OK. But if there is anything he believed to be wrong, you are screwed. He can go from complimenting you to just plain trashing you in a matter of minutes.”

He also added that he’s “not considering leaving United.” Fair play to him for handling that part right.

The obvious fuss without doubt would be kicked up on the italicised quote above, about calling Ferguson a complicated guy. Headlines already scream: “Nani outburst risks Ferguson’s wrath.” Really?!

All Nani did was call Ferguson a complicated guy, and essentially told us stuff about the manager we already know. It’s like saying the sun is a complicated ball of fire. Some months of the year it roasts the city you live in, while in other months it deserts you leaving the place cold and bitter. Some parts of the world have to bear the brunt of the sun throughout the year while some never have to deal with it. It’s like that.

Well, sort of.

Anyway, Nani should be given a fair chance this season. And if he doesn’t make it this season he would certainly be the next to be jettisoned off to another club. If only brain transplant was an easy medical procedure.

The other interview that has everyone up in arms over is the ‘RONALDO SPECIAL’ (note the caps) in the Daily Mail. [It was originally published on a Russian newspaper Sport Express] Anyway, I’ll skip all the boring parts of the interview which you can all read at leisure and come to the supposed “juicy bit”, when asked about a possible return to Man City:

‘I don’t see them being above United. Perhaps one day, but not yet. At United there are great traditions, which you can’t buy in one or two years. They are created by victories. You need to prove again and again that you are better than the others. Manchester United have always done this and are still doing it, so they are the best.’

‘I don’t know (about City’s interest). I’ve not heard about it. Now I’m at Madrid. Nobody knows what the future will bring. Real are the club of my dreams and I’m glad to be here.’

Ronaldo did what Ronaldo does best, say he has no control of his future and be vague. He also did say a few weeks ago that he wants to spend the rest of his life in Madrid. It’s laughable for anyone to think he will leave sunny Madrid for rainy Manchester especially if said club was City.

Certainly not now. Certainly not in a couple of years. In five? Well, who knows…

As one famous footballing superstar would say: “Only God knows where my future lies.”

12 November 2009 at 09:46

Great analogy of Sun used for Gaffer…. No matter how he is but we all have to he is bright star or I should say Sun in the skies of the MUFC, which will always remain bright….
    BTW, read that Ronaldo Piece in the morning (In India), couldn’t stop laughing…. The man is back to his usual self.. Mr Cristiano ‘God Only Knows’ Ronaldo…… Now, common you all shitty people go after him… You paid GBP47mn for that dirty face TEVEZ… How many you are going spend now..247mn????

12 November 2009 at 09:47

BTW, I was the first one to comment on new thread…..
    May be everyone else but me is too busy……

3. Jay wire

12 November 2009 at 10:14

Schizophrenic displays. That’s a good one. Anyway, Nani is clearly frustrated and with good reason. He is outspoken as can be clearly deduced in this interview. However, this could very well trigger the boot out of Old Trafford. You can’t criticise Ferguson like that and escape his wrath. It doesn’t work at Manchester United. If you’ve watched “The Last King of Scotland” you’ll realise what I mean. But all in all he deserves better treatment and if he was promised regular game time then such promises should be honoured. On the other hand he should be working on trying to get his game up instead of expecting to be handed anything.

4. Pingback: Between the Lines Recommends « Between the Lines

5. Aditya

12 November 2009 at 11:57

What does Nani gain by doing this?
    1. Possible game time.
    2. He might be offloaded faster than he thought he would be.
    3. He might be back in fergie’s doghouse asap.

What does this show?
    1. Nani is not very bright.

Do we know this already? Hell yeah!

That said, I really hope he gets a consistent run and proves his worth. I really do think he is the real deal.

6. Aditya

12 November 2009 at 12:03

Also, Shearer reckons that Owen might not be included in the WC squad because of Capello’s four striker policy. Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and one of Bent, Heskey, Carlton Cole and Owen is what he reckons.

I dunno if you guys are arsed but I certainly am and I want Mike Owen to make it to the WC squad. Nobody and I mean nobody among that entire contingent of fourth choice striker will give you that required impetus in the dying minutes of the game like Owen does. I hope Capello atleast uses Owen as his super sub. And I also think Owen will be the better option upfront than Heskey or Cole or Bent. Bent actually turns to his right and uses his right foot if he has to shoot. Cole is too raw and Heskey is just not WC material.

7. Nafooy

12 November 2009 at 12:04

Hargo … “It will be an amazing feeling to run out at Old Trafford again. I’ll be so excited I’ll probably pass out”.

Stark contrast to the aforementioned remarks. Nuff said!

12 November 2009 at 12:14

@Aditya: People always feel that he has not got the kind of run that any footballer should get or rather I should say Ronaldo got. But the point that might be affecting SAF decision may not be totally dependent on what he does on the ground.Yeah I agree that is the most important factor but there will be other factors involved in this such as training, his commitment towards training and such other thing etc.
    We all know one about Ronaldo that no matter how petulant he was, how frustrating he was one thing was always knew was that he was an ideai player as far as training and putting efforts in training is concerned. We have to accept that we see these players once a week for 90mins but the boss and coaching staff see them day in day out. I think this can also be the reason which may be hinderence in the NANI getting game time as he might not be impressing the gaffer and coaching staff enough in training sessions…
    I am just speculating on the reason though…..

9. Sir Red

12 November 2009 at 12:16

“Giggs and Neville get it more” – But they are still here, playing their hearts out. Says a lot, that bit. Well, to me it does anyway.

10. Sir Red

12 November 2009 at 12:19

As for Nani, I do genuinely believe he has the talent to make it. I hope he is given more games to prove himself because I’m afraid this season is make or bust for him.

11. Aditya

12 November 2009 at 12:22

@Onkar: Yeah much speculation there. But then, we need not go to speculation because most of the opportunities that he has been handed have been disappointing. But then, when he has really put in a good shift, he has been dropped.

12 November 2009 at 13:03

@Aditya: Last minute of extra time in the World Cup Final. A Rooney defence splitter puts someone through 1 on 1 in the box with the goal keeper. England can win the World Cup with this kick and avoid penalties. Who do you want it to fall to?

A) Peter Crouch?
    B) Darren Bent?
    C) EMILE HESKEY?

The answer is D. Michael Owen.

Every. Single. Time

12 November 2009 at 15:09

Fergie gets a £20,000 fine, and a 2 match touchline ban with a further 2 games suspended for 2 years.

Gonna dig out which games this is..is Barnsely in the Carling Cup one of them?

14. Andrei

12 November 2009 at 15:25

@Traverse: Well… RvN would be better and Inzaghi or Ronaldo (fat one) would be perfect… that said of all of England’s strikers, I have most confidence in Jermain Defoe on a 1-on-1; Rooney a close second.

15. Jay wire

12 November 2009 at 15:31

The Nani issue to me is one of misguided loyalties. As much as I love Ryan Giggs and as much as he has played great in most matches, there’s no way we can expect him to play as many games as previous seasons. The same applies for Scholes. Simply because they are not as physically fit as before and mainly because they may not be playing next season. So we might as well give the young guns more opportunities. A reasonable run in the 1st team until they become consistent. We wonder how Arsenal do it. Well they play their young players more. Song, Diaby,Fabregas etc. These guys are played consistently and fortunately for us Wenger doesn’t understand the issue of squad depth and they will always fall victim to injuries and fatigue. But point is they can go to any ground in Europe and give their opponents a real run for their money. The left wing should be shared more between Nani and Obertan. Especially in the league games against lower level teams. That’s the only way they’ll also gain experience. The same applies for Macheda and Welbeck. We can no longer talk about players for the future considering that the “future” may well begin in May and we’ve not prepared our future players enough to be great players of “today”. Do we think Da Silva Lining has a future here? Then give them more game time. Take risks at certain times to even play them in bigger games. We’ve got too many experienced players across the board we can afford to play two raw talents per game. Rooney,Berbatov,Giggs, the entire back 5. Already Barca have unleashed another one from their kids by the name of Pedro. They also recently offered another one, Sergio Busquets( fantastic 20 year old midfielder) a revised contract. Now both players are getting regular game time at Barca and I don’t mean just 60 min every 4 games. It’s high time we became more adventurous with our team selection and give these kids enough games not just some League Cup game vs Barnsley.

16. Ober-fuckin-tan

12 November 2009 at 15:46

2 match ban for Sir Alex 🙄 , FA=Cunts 😈

12 November 2009 at 18:37

Boy the shit is going to hit the fan when CraigMC hears of this treachery. The fact that his Lil Man Nani was so abused by he Boss, Fergie will not be safe walking out of OT anytime soon. I fear for the Boss as Nani Love is gonna come down on him hard. Where are you Craig, now that you boy Nani has been attacked and has come out crying over injustice that he has endured? 😀 😀

12 November 2009 at 18:39

NANI NANI….NANI NANI…..NA NA NA GOODBYE
    NANI NANI….NANI NANI…..NA NA NA GOODBYE

Sung to the past hit by Bananarama

12 November 2009 at 18:41

@Jay wire: Nani did it on purpose mate. He wants the shit to hit the fan. He wants out and the only way it’s going to happen is to piss off the Boss. He just booked his ticket out of Manchester without actually having to say he wants out because he fears the fans wrath more than Fergie.

12 November 2009 at 18:45

@Aditya: Actually it shows that Nani is very bright indeed. He wants out and the only way he can gain his exit from the team is to force Fergie’s hand. By doing nothing he sits on the bench, he is still in Fergie’s doghouse and he has to put up with that. This way he forces Fergie to save face and to catapult him straight out of town. Kiss him goodbye, he is gone as sure as Liverpool is a stocking ground for criminals.

21. Footy4Eddy

12 November 2009 at 19:38

Nani are you okey? Nani are you okey, are you okey Nani? Nani are you okey, are you okey, Nani are you okey, are you okey Nani?

You`ve been hit by…