Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has urged the club’s hierarchy to complete the signing of Sean Longstaff from Newcastle United before the Red Devils head for their pre-season tour of Australia and the Far East, The Star reports.
The Red Devils have already secured the signings of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James in the current transfer window, and the focus has now shifted towards recruiting Longstaff, who made his Premier League debut with the Magpies earlier in the year.
According to The Star, the Red Devils are prepared to continue with the recent trend of pursuing young British talents and Longstaff has been earmarked as the priority signing for Solskjaer before the club head for their pre-season tour.
The same publication claims that Solskjaer wants executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward to meet the Magpies’ demands for £20m plus add-ons for the midfielder rather than delaying the negotiations with a reduced bid for the 21-year-old.
The Mancunian giants are aiming to strengthen the heart of the midfield this summer after having recently witnessed the departure of Ander Herrera following the conclusion of his contract.
Longstaff may have just started his career with the Magpies, but his impressive passing attribute is likely to have impressed Solskjaer, who may prefer a quicker transition from central defence to midfield.
At 21, Longstaff has plenty of years ahead of him to develop into a consistent performer and he can be regarded as a long-term replacement for Matic, whose reduced mobility on the field has drawn criticism in recent seasons.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd