Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has claimed that he offered Manchester United to sign Erling Braut Haaland for just £4 million in 2018.
Haaland played under Solskjaer five years ago when the latter was in charge of Molde.
The former United manager told the Sun: “I called United about six months before I took over and told them that I’d got this striker that we had, but they didn’t listen.
“I asked for £4 million for Haaland, but they didn’t sign him.”
Since moving to Manchester City last summer, Haaland has broken the all-time goalscoring record over a single season in the Premier League.
He has bagged 35 goals in the English top flight and could reach the 40-goal mark with four games remaining.
Man Utd made a tremendous blunder by snubbing Erling Haaland
It is comical to think that United passed up on the chance to sign Haaland for just £4m.
The 22-year-old is currently the best striker in the world and looks set to rule the sport in the future.
Solskjaer knew that Haaland had the potential to take the world by storm when the then-teenager scored 16 goals for Molde in the 2018 campaign.
The mistake could bite United in brutal fashion, with the Norwegian striker leading Man City’s treble bid.
The Citizens are looking to replicate United’s famous treble of 1999 by winning the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup.
Erik ten Hag is desperate for the Red Devils to sign an elite striker this summer. Marcus Rashford’s 29 goals aside, United have struggled to find the back of the net.
You can only wonder how strong United would be if Haaland led their attack.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd