Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has provided an injury update on Victor Lindelof ahead of tomorrow’s Premier League derby against Manchester City.
The Sweden international sustained a minor injury in training earlier this week, and he was subsequently absent for the midweek Champions League encounter at Atalanta.
During that game, United suffered a setback with Raphael Varane sustaining a hamstring injury. It has been confirmed that he will be sidelined for around a month.
Ahead of Saturday’s Manchester derby, Solskjaer has revealed that Lindelof remains a doubt, but he would expect the 27-year-old to be ready in time.
He said, via Manchester Evening News: “He’s still a doubt, but hopefully, he can come back in tomorrow and say he’s ready. I would expect him to be ready, put it that way but I can’t promise you.”
Solskjaer has opted for a three-man backline in the last two games. United kept their first clean sheet in 11 games at Tottenham Hotspur, where they ended up with a comfortable 3-0 league triumph.
However, they faced a completely different test against Atalanta in the Champions League.
They conceded early with a three-man central defence before Varane’s injury setback.
United ended up with a 2-2 draw in the end. Cristiano Ronaldo salvaged a point for the Mancunian giants, scoring in stoppage time of either half. He scored the equaliser with a superb controlled volley.
It is unclear which formation Solskjaer could deploy against City. Eric Bailly stood out against Atalanta, and he appears a shoe-in to start alongside Harry Maguire if Lindelof remains sidelined.
If Lindelof is fit, it won’t come as a surprise if Solskjaer continues with the 3-4-1-2 formation. He may want more defensive assurance and could look to catch City on the counter-attack which has worked with good effect.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final