Manchester United didn’t make much progress until the eleventh hour in the transfer window. Before 5th October, United had made only one signing in Donny Van de Beek.
Sevilla chief Monchi saw this as an opportunity to take a dig at United’s operational structure.
“I do understand there are very successful clubs – Manchester United are probably one of the top five in the world, but they do not have that specific position – but I think that clubs more and more are aware that they really need this position and also we are the connection between the technical staff, the squad, the board, we know the market, we get lots of information through the different scouts,” Monchi told The Telegraph.
“So, for me, I can’t believe a club does not have this particular position. Logically, I have to believe in it because that’s what I do. But I do think it’s essential.”
A few weeks later, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has made comments suggesting he’s happy with the current structure.
“There’s always people who want to talk about how well they’re running things and how well they’re doing,” Solskjaer said. “We’ve all got different views on how football should be played and how clubs should be run.
“We’ve got good people running our club and there’s always discussions behind the scenes, which people don’t know about, around how we’re doing things and evaluating everything.”
“It’s a process the club is going through all the time, discussing if we’ve got the right people in the right positions,” Solskjaer said.
“It’s not for me to say whether we should have a director of football.
“At the moment we’re working with this structure and I feel the results last season we’ve seen a big improvement, fans looked at us and said we’re moving in the right direction. Hopefully, we can carry that on this season.”
Solskjaer’s comments suggests that he’s not interested in hearing criticism from other sources and he hints that the current structure is not going to change.
Matt Judge and Ed Woodward are two notable names who takes care of the transfers and are the main authority.
- Erik ten Hag gives his backing to Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Van de Beek’s former agent blasts Man Utd over unfair treatment of the midfielder
- Manchester United team news: Erik ten Hag gives fitness updates on three key players
- Marcus Rashford wins Premier League Player of the Month for September
- Manchester United vs West Ham United – October 30 – New Kick-off Time
- Manchester City vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, Potential Line-ups & How to Watch
- David De Gea to hold talks with Erik ten Hag as his Man United future hangs in balance
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with