Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has urged Romelu Lukaku to stay with the club for another season amid the speculation linking him with a move to Inter Milan this summer.
The Belgium international had an average second season with the Red Devils last term and he managed just 15 goals across all competitions, while failing to score during the final two months of the campaign.
As such, he has been touted to pursue a fresh challenge elsewhere with the Nerazzurri leading the race, but The Sun claims that Solskjaer has made a last-ditch plea to convince the striker to remain with the club.
The same publication suggests that Solskjaer has assured the Belgian with the opportunity to cement the number 9 role despite Marcus Rashford signing a new long-term contract with the club this month.
Lukaku has drawn regular criticism from the United supporters over the past year and that has resulted from his tendency to squander clear-cut chances – most often from the penalty box.
Owing to this, Solskjaer decided to drop Lukaku to the bench on occasions during the backend of last season, though Marcus Rashford also struggled to make an impression leading the line.
The 26-year-old is currently with the United squad for their pre-season tour of Australia and the Far East, and he is likely to feature during the opening friendly against Perth Glory on July 13.
Aside from Lukaku, there has also been speculation regarding the future of midfielder Paul Pogba with the club but Standard Sport has claimed that Solskjaer is determined to keep hold of the 2018 World Cup winner.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd