Jesse Lingard’s future at Manchester United was in doubt after he fell out of favour under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
However, he was rejuvenated by a brilliant loan spell at West Ham United and is keen to make his mark again at Old Trafford.
Lingard played a crucial role as West Ham qualified for the Europa League, scoring nine goals in 16 appearances.
This was his best-ever Premier League tally in a single season. His previous high was eight goals, which he achieved in 33 matches.
His future at United was under scrutiny, but things now look promising.
He has entered the last year of his contract, and his future will be decided by the role he is given during the season.
In the pre-season friendlies, he staked his claim for a place with a series of impressive performances.
Solskjaer has hinted that the United star will be staying at the club and will play a big part this season.
“Don’t forget Jesse Lingard,” he told the Manchester Evening News.
“He has reinvented himself, and he has come back the man that we know.
“With the quality he has, he is going to play a big part. I forgot him when I spoke about goalscorers.”
Lingard was unavailable for the opening day as he had tested positive for COVID-19. He is expected to return to training soon.
With Marcus Rashford sidelined for two months, Lingard can expect more game time over the coming weeks.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal