Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has waxed lyrical about Manchester United’s breathtaking showing in their 3-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur.
Pressured to bounce back from a heartbreaking 5-0 home defeat to Liverpool last time out, the Red Devils produced arguably their best performance of the season to put Spurs to the sword in north London.
Cristiano Ronaldo stole the spotlight again to pave the way for United’s stroll in the capital with a sublime volley late in the first half.
Having Ronaldo in the team swayed the encounter in United’s favour, helping Solskjaer weather the storm at least briefly.
The Portuguese ace delivered an assist to Edinson Cavani midway through the second half, with the Uruguayan’s first-class finish putting daylight between the sides.
United continued to control the game even after Solskjaer withdrew Ronaldo for Marcus Rashford, who sealed Tottenham’s fate in the 86th minute, showing composure one-on-one with Hugo Lloris.
A well-deserved triumph at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium propelled the Red Devils back to fifth place, level on points with West Ham United.
Well aware of the significance this victory has had on his future at Old Trafford and United’s hopes of recovering some ground on the Premier League leaders, Solskjaer praised his team’s efforts.
“It has been a difficult week for the players, the fans, the club, for me,” he said as relayed by The Irish Times.
“I have stayed away from most of the noise, but you know what is happening out there. And you know you have to put a performance up.
“It’s the worst feeling in the world when you lose and you just want the next game to come.
“For us, we needed this week, a whole week to work on this performance and it is the last time for a while we have a long week to work on fitness and mentality.
“That is the most important thing for the fans and players and me, that we connect together.
“It is hard to be sitting as your local journalists then to write about your own fans singing for your manager.
“That is just a dig at someone who is wanting to portray a different story. These fans are brilliant.”
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash