Manchester United head coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reiterated that he is optimistic about the club’s prospects of retaining the services of David de Gea on a long-term basis. The Spanish goalkeeper has been with the Red Devils since the summer of 2011, and during this period, he has evolved into one of their most consistent performers while bagging the club’s Player of the Year award for a record four occasions.
Despite this, there has remained speculation regarding his future at different periods, and the same has re-emerged this summer with his contract expiring in less than 12 months’ time. Just a week ago, Solskjaer said that he is positive over a new long-term deal for the Spaniard and he has made a similar comment in the lead-up to the friendly against Leeds United.
“Yeah, he will play tomorrow (against Leeds). And hopefully we can agree (a deal) with David, as I’ve said a few times. I think that’ll be up to David and the club to announce if that happens. If and when,” he was quoted as saying by the club’s official website.
De Gea did not play any part during the opening pre-season friendly against Perth Glory, where the Red Devils secured a comfortable 2-0 win after goals from Marcus Rashford and James Garner. However, he has been confirmed to start the game against the Peacocks tomorrow, where the fans will witness a familiar rivalry from the early days of the Premier League era.
Shortly after the Leeds encounter, Solskjaer’s team will make the trip to Asia to face Inter Milan and Tottenham in Singapore and China respectively. The games will be part of the International Champions Cup. United’s other encounter in the friendly competition will come against AC Milan next month.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling