Manchester United head coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said that he is positive that the club can sort out the future of Spanish goalkeeper David de Gea. The 28-year-old has been with the Red Devils for the past eight seasons, but his future has been speculated of late with his contract expiring at the end of the next season.
In a press conference ahead of the Perth Glory friendly, Solskjaer acknowledged that he has been lucky to work with a shot-stopper of De Gea’s calibre and he remains positive that the Spaniard will commit his future to the club on a fresh long-term deal.
He told MUTV: “I’m positive. Of course, with David, I’ve said many a time how lucky I am, and how happy we are, to have him in the goal. So we hope he stays here for many years.”
A recent report from The Sun has indicated that the goalkeeper has snubbed a £300,000-a-week contract offer from the Red Devils, but the club are likely to propose a renewed package of £350,000-a-week which may be sufficient to prolong his stay at Old Trafford.
De Gea, who is currently on a £200,000 weekly salary, has been one of the club’s standout performers in the past few years and this has been reflected with him being voted as the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year in four of the previous six campaigns.
He had a surprisingly below-par season last term where he was guilty of making a few high-profile errors but overall, he continues to remain integral to the team with 100 clean sheets attained in the Premier League alone.
Manchester United begin their pre-season tour of Australia with a game against Perth Glory on July 13 before tackling Leeds United four days later. Thereafter, they are scheduled to face Inter Milan and Tottenham Hotspur in Singapore and China respectively before returning to Europe.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd