After committing Zidane Iqbal to a new deal, Manchester United have tied up-and-coming centre-back Will Fish down to a new contract.
According to the club’s statement, the 19-year-old prodigy has penned a long-term contract that will keep him at Old Trafford until 2025.
Fish’s new contract includes an option to extend it for a further year, showing just how much confidence the Red Devils put in their talented defender.
The Theatre of Dreams homegrown youngster spent the first half of last season on loan at lower-league outfit Stockport County to gain experience.
He returned to the base in January to join Man United’s youth squad.
The Manchester-born whizz-kid accumulated ten Premier League 2 appearances, adding one more in the UEFA Youth League in the second half of last season.
Fish’s senior breakthrough came on the final matchday of the 2020/21 Premier League season.
Sacked manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer handed the youngster his first-team debut in United’s 2-1 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux.
Despite Man United’s well-documented defensive issues, Fish will unlikely compete for a place in the senior squad next season.
New boss Erik ten Hag is on the lookout for a new defender to bolster his options at the back.
Harry Maguire and Raphael Varane were Ralf Rangnick’s preferred centre-back pairing last season.
However, both players performed below expectations, leading to the Dutch manager’s search for a new central defender.
Ajax’s Jurrien Timber is one of ten Hag’s top targets. But the reigning Eredivisie holders are unwilling to let their jewel leave.
Regardless of the outcome of Man United’s pursuit of the Dutch talent, Fish is likely to go on another loan to maintain his development.
- West Ham and Everton enter race to sign Man Utd target Jhon Duran
- Saudi Arabian giants make $225m offer to sign Cristiano Ronaldo
- Man Utd have to pay €60m to sign Inter Milan star Denzel Dumfries
- It’s Man Utd’s Varane vs Eriksen as France take on Denmark in an enthralling World Cup clash
- Erik ten Hag wants Man Utd to sign Cody Gakpo in January, Rafael Leao is the alternative
- Man Utd great candidates to sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix in January
- Harry Maguire impresses for England in World Cup stalemate against USA
- Man Utd have Jonathan David on their radar, Lille would sell him for €50m
- Four Irish Players United Could Sign Next
- Man Utd ready to step up chase for €60m-rated Cody Gakpo