After committing Zidane Iqbal to a new deal, Manchester United have tied up-and-coming centre-back Will Fish down to a new contract.
According to the club’s statement, the 19-year-old prodigy has penned a long-term contract that will keep him at Old Trafford until 2025.
Fish’s new contract includes an option to extend it for a further year, showing just how much confidence the Red Devils put in their talented defender.
The Theatre of Dreams homegrown youngster spent the first half of last season on loan at lower-league outfit Stockport County to gain experience.
He returned to the base in January to join Man United’s youth squad.
The Manchester-born whizz-kid accumulated ten Premier League 2 appearances, adding one more in the UEFA Youth League in the second half of last season.
Fish’s senior breakthrough came on the final matchday of the 2020/21 Premier League season.
Sacked manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer handed the youngster his first-team debut in United’s 2-1 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux.
Despite Man United’s well-documented defensive issues, Fish will unlikely compete for a place in the senior squad next season.
New boss Erik ten Hag is on the lookout for a new defender to bolster his options at the back.
Harry Maguire and Raphael Varane were Ralf Rangnick’s preferred centre-back pairing last season.
However, both players performed below expectations, leading to the Dutch manager’s search for a new central defender.
Ajax’s Jurrien Timber is one of ten Hag’s top targets. But the reigning Eredivisie holders are unwilling to let their jewel leave.
Regardless of the outcome of Man United’s pursuit of the Dutch talent, Fish is likely to go on another loan to maintain his development.
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio