Bayer Leverkusen defender Odilon Kossounou has emerged as a target for Manchester United amid his strong season in the Bundesliga, according to Florian Plettenberg.
The 23-year-old has been hugely impressive alongside Jonathan Tah and Edmond Tapsoba in the back three for Leverkusen, who are currently four points clear at the top of Bundesliga.
His performances have not gone unnoticed and Plettenberg claims that United have added him to their extended summer shortlist. He is not a top target, but they are monitoring him.
Kossounou could be a back-up target for Man Utd
The Red Devils are likely to strengthen their central defensive department at the end of the season. Raphael Varane could leave on a free when this contract expires in June.
If they fail to pursue their preferred transfer targets, they could consider Kossounou as a fall-back option, considering his fine displays for Leverkusen in the current season.
The Ivory Coast international is a good ball-playing centre-back. He has a passing accuracy of 88 per cent this term with an impressive 6.5 ball recoveries per league game.
Kossounou has also won 54 per cent of his duels per appearance alongside 1.5 tackles, 1.5 interceptions and 1.7 clearances. The €35 million-rated star is an all-round defender.
The 6ft 3in star has also made a handful number of appearances from right-back. He could compete with Diogo Dalot as well if Aaron Wan-Bissaka heads for the exit door.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow