Bruno Fernandes has perfectly summed up the progression Manchester United have made under Erik ten Hag.
The Red Devils defeated Manchester City to register a dramatic derby victory today.
After going behind on the hour mark, Fernandes and Marcus Rashford scored goals which led to the Old Trafford crowd erupting in ecstasy at the full-time whistle.
Fernandes told BT Sport (via The Athletic): “For us, (it) doesn’t matter the opponent, the most important (thing) is winning. And we did it. Amazing comeback and a great effort from the team.
“I said before to the team, ‘We look like a team now’. Some time ago, you could see sometimes (we were) a team, sometimes each one of us (was) looking a bit for ourselves.
“Now, you see a proper team that works hard for each other and you see that it pays off.”
Fernandes’ assessment is not off the target. Under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the Red Devils relied on a moment of magic to score goals. They allowed opponents to dominate possession and played on the counter-attack.
That is no longer the case under Ten Hag. The Dutchman wants his team to play entertaining and possession-based football. He does not only care about the points but also about the way his team plays on the pitch.
Man City are generally not a team which ends up losing after leading. This is for the first time in almost two years they have lost after going ahead, which shows the spirit in United’s squad.
Apart from their early defeat against Brighton & Hove Albion, they haven’t lost at Old Trafford in the Premier League.
The Red Devils next travel to Selhurst Park to face Crystal Palace.
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest