Premier League newcomers Nottingham Forest have opened talks with Manchester United over a loan deal for goalkeeper Dean Henderson, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano reports.
Henderson has been the second-choice goalkeeper to David de Gea over the past couple of seasons, and it has already been reported that he would prefer a permanent move elsewhere.
As per Romano, Forest have now entered negotiations with United for Henderson. The recently-promoted outfit are eyeing a season-long loan with the option to buy for around £20 million.
Henderson is said to be open to joining Steve Cooper’s side this summer.
Henderson became a Premier League regular during the final months of the 2020/21 campaign. He was handed the opportunity following David de Gea’s paternity leave.
He was fancied to kick on last season to become the number one, but that was not the case. De Gea started the campaign as the first-choice while Henderson was recovering from coronavirus.
The United graduate hardly got the chance to impress throughout the season as De Gea was in exceptional form. The Spaniard was back to his best last term with several stand-out performances.
There are still questions over De Gea’s distribution and reluctance to make high claims, but he is expected to start in goal next season after singlehandedly winning several points for the club.
Hence, there are no surprises that Henderson is pushing for a new challenge. The 25-year-old may feel he has an outside chance of making the England World Cup squad with regular game time.
It remains to be seen whether United are willing to sell him without a replacement. Newcastle United’s Karl Darlow and Watford’s Daniel Bachmann are currently on the club’s radar.
Meanwhile, there have been suggestions that Tom Heaton could be promoted as the new number two. He signed last summer with the belief that he would be the deputy shot-stopper.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest