Manchester United’s unbeaten pre-season run came to an end as Atletico Madrid defeated them 1-0 on Saturday.
The Old Trafford giants were the brighter of the two sides but failed to convert their chances.
Portuguese star Joao Felix sealed the victory for the Spanish club by netting a late goal. Just after a few minutes of the goal, Fred was sent off after receiving his second yellow card.
The Red Devils have been scoring goals for fun on their tour of Bangkok and Australia. However, they failed to play with the same tempo against Diego Simeone’s side.
Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Harry Maguire had some good chances to break the deadlock but fluffed their lines.
It’s no secret that Atletico like to sit deep, absorb pressure and counter-attack to score goals. And, this is how they played today.
Not being clinical in the opposition’s box was the primary reason for Man United to falter today. Ten Hag, who suffered his first defeat since taking charge of the Red Devils, was upset that his players didn’t grab their chances.
He said to MUTV: “In the end, it’s about the result and the score is not good, you have to take benefit if you create chances.
“I think we create many chances, a lot to produce one goal but we didn’t do, from the less chances they create they score one. With that point I’m not satisfied, I’ve told the team it’s not acceptable, you have to be sharp in the box on both sides.”
However, ten Hag was quick to point out the positives he saw today. He added: “Our possession game, our transition game was really good, we create a lot of threat for them, we had weapons, we create opportunities.
“Also from set plays, a big chance for Harry Maguire, we had enough but it wasn’t enough to win the game and that’s always our aim.”
He also gave a hint of how his team will line up in tomorrow’s warm-up game against Rayo Vallecano.
“The players who played today from the start, will not come out tomorrow,” he said.
“Tomorrow we will have a different starting eleven. But the players who came on today can start tomorrow.”
- Impressive stats come to the fore following massive performance from Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes for Portugal
- Real Madrid join Man Utd in race to sign Argentine star Enzo Fernandez
- Facundo Pellistri shines for Uruguay in 2-0 World Cup defeat to Portugal
- FA Cup third round draw: Man Utd to host Everton at Old Trafford
- Casemiro scores wonder goal as Manchester United duo help Brazil move into last 16 at the World Cup
- Man Utd plan to recall Ethan Laird if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves in January
- Man Utd target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic impresses for Serbia in World Cup thriller vs Cameroon
- Man Utd should sign Vincent Aboubakar from Al-Nassr on loan in January
- Manchester United midfielder Fred opens up on taking inspiration from legendary World Cup-winning Brazil squad
- ‘He is one of my idols’ – Marcus Rashford breaks silence on disgruntled star leaving Manchester United